Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Our Family Motto

Deb over at Home Life Simplified has challenged us again this week. She asked us to come up with a Family Motto.

This has really made me think. I love being a Mum but sometimes feel we get so wrapped up in the day to day rushing around that I forget to take a step back and look at the big picture. I'm so afraid of my kids "little" years whipping by me while I rush around "getting things done". I need to focus more on them and enjoy my time with them.

Part of the reason for me doing this challenge is that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with life at the moment. I want to step back, relax and focus on what is important to me. When I am overwhelmed I snap at my kids and my family, I am not as caring to my husband as I should be and I just generally don't enjoy life. I don't like the person that I am when I am like this.

So, when I read about Deb's challenge for making a family motto I thought this would be a great way of reminding myself every day of what is important to us and therefore stop me from "sweating the small stuff".

Here goes!

The mission of our family is to slow down and spend time together doing the things that we love. We will try to prevent times when we get too busy.

We believe in and will make our choices based on respect, trust, honesty and kindness.

We will fill our home with love

We want to teach our children to be authentic, considerate, respectful and loving.

We will encourage each other to pursue our passions.

This is really exciting for me! It's giving me focus and direction. Thanks so much Deb! To finish up, I found this sign on Pinterest which I think sums up my family mission statement perfectly. I am going to try and print it out and frame it.






7 comments:

  1. Love your mission statement and the family rules (i shared that on the FB wall in November and LOVE it so much!). My friend went on to print it out and it hangs in her kitchen for them to see every day.

    deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great mission statement...everytime I read someone elses I want to change mine slightly! I love the family rules too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore your first statement: "The mission of our family is to slow down and spend time together doing the things that we love." Children grow and families change so quickly! This is my core mission this year too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome mission statement - i think every family needs to remember to slow down. every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I read your post I really related to the way you're feeling overwhelmed with life at the moment, especially this: "When I am overwhelmed I snap at my kids and my family, I am not as caring to my husband as I should be and I just generally don't enjoy life. I don't like the person that I am when I am like this". Ditto! Me too :-(

    Your mission statement is beautiful. I wish you all the best on the SYL Challenge. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the positive feedback. This exercise has really made me stop and think. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great mission statement and love the Family Rules! I am going to print it out right now!

    ReplyDelete